Two of the questions we are most often asked when it comes to our Outsourced Sales Service are questions about list services such as Jigsaw, Sales Genie, etc. and the specificity of the information they provide (e.g. contact information, demographics, currency of data etc.) and whether a company such as ours who “scrubs” these lists and finds opportunities for clients will work “success based.”
I figured that it might be helpful to provide you with my responses to these questions.
While we have not worked with every list service specifically, it has been my experience that all services like that are different levels of bad. I mean no disrespect. It is just that no matter how often they check their data, things change quickly. Most of these places will tell you that they update their information every 6 months, but you will still find the contact who died 5 years ago or the guy who left the company 2 weeks after they confirmed their information.
I find this interesting because at least once a week, we get a call at Randolph Sterling Inc., for Mr. Randolph Sterling. Some of the people who have called apparently have befriended Mr. Sterling to the point where he told them it was OK to call him Randy. This is interesting because while I am sure there is a Mr. Randolph Sterling somewhere in the world, he has never worked for my company. I may one day write a blog post about where the name came from, but I can assure you that because I am the founder and CEO of Randolph Sterling, Inc., that the CEO and founder of Randolph Sterling, Inc. is not Mr. Randolph Sterling.
Regardless, at least one list service has it listed that way.
As for the second part of the question, yes, there are companies out there who will take this information and help you to develop relationships and will work “success based.” However, their definitions of success may vary, as may yours.
Our current clients define success several ways. Here are just a few:
- Finding opportunities with the right prospect.
- Continuing to follow up with that right prospect for sometimes up to 2+ years or the 7-13 “touches” it takes for them to trust someone they don’t know enough to just have them quote on an opportunity.
- Continuing relationships with clients by providing customer satisfaction calls and forwarding to their sales team the information that enables them to step in and save problem accounts or provide a new service.
- Determining if a company that looks like a good fit on paper is actually a good fit. We have several clients who ask us to rate our impression of how difficult a prospect may be to work with because they have limited resources and want to make sure they are working with people who not only value what they do, but will pay for it.
- Finding the correct decision maker and starting a relationship with them after it was determined that the contact name on the list that was bought was incorrect.
That said, we at Randolph Sterling, Inc. are not just appointment setters or a telemarketing firm whose main goal is to get you in front of someone. Our goal is to understand your business and what makes you great, then do our best to match you up with the right prospects. If you bring us on, we will be an extension of your sales team, working as your inside sales department.
It would be difficult for us to open our doors and keep them open if I didn’t think our team was the best in the world at what we do, and if we didn’t continue to hire and train the best and continue to grow in providing more services at a higher quality for our clients. We don’t hire entry level people or people who work on contingency. We hire experienced professionals and treat both them and our clients as such.